Serving our Inmate Population
Why We Serve
We believe in helping people lead independent, productive lives; our faith tells us that every population deserves to have basic needs met, including those in jail or prison.
We believe it is our duty to serve the under-served population called “inmates”; we also believe the evidence that shows that inmates who receive moral and spiritual support, have a LOWER RECIDIVISM rate than those who do not.
We believe in the power of the gospel, or “good news” of spiritual forgiveness and healing, to change lives, therefore increasing inmates’ peace and stability, even BEFORE release.
Who We Are
We are a team of Christian volunteers, who gladly offer our time, energy and the resources of this ministry to:
- Counsel inmates one-on-one
- Conduct group sessions to build inmates’ encouragement and faith
- Build coping skills while incarcerated
- Plan for the pressures they will face after being released
- Help them assimilate back into mainstream society
- Build spiritual disciplines for inmates who desire them
- When possible, provide basic supplies they will need, e.g., transportation, clothing, hygiene, Bibles, blankets, sleeping bags, etc.
- We treat inmates of all backgrounds with equal respect and consideration
Sierra Jail Ministries, inc
It takes many people, to reach many people. Our team of volunteers conduct groups within jail facilities on topics ranging from life skills, to personal growth, to spiritual formation.
Our Chaplaincy staff has served El Dorado County Jail for 15 years
We are based in El Dorado County, with the heart of our efforts taking place here. As we expand our reach to other facilities in the Sierras, this region will continue to be where we call 'home'.
We believe in the power of the Bible to present life-giving truth to those who are willing to receive it.
We believe in speaking openly about matters of faith, sin and forgiveness, and that we are all sinners in need of forgiveness made available through Jesus.
We believe that each person deserves to hear about the news of this faith, and that each person deserves respect and to have their basic needs met, regardless of whether or not they hold to the same faith or not, without prejudice of any kind.
our non-profit status is complete!
This is great news, because going forward into 2016 we can now guarantee tax deduction qualification for all our donors. So again, thank you!!